Made with just two ingredients (plus olive oil), this recipe for Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus couldn’t be easier.
Not only is this a delectable finger food, but this Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus is also perfect for those on low carb and keto diets.
How to make it? Open a package of thin-sliced prosciutto, and then rinse and trim some fresh asparagus spears…
…then cut the prosciutto sheets lengthwise in half. I’ve also done this by gently tearing in half with my hands…
…then in a baking pan lined with foil, toss the fresh asparagus with good olive oil and black pepper. I see no need to salt the asparagus, because the prosciutto will add enough saltiness.
Then wrap the strips of prosciutto around the asparagus spears, place in the oven and roast…
…until the prosciutto and asparagus ends are crisp and caramelized. My goodness, my mouth is watering right now even as I write this, ya’ll!
There are lots of different versions of this simple recipe out there. Low Carb Yum adds cream cheese, and Simply Recipes suggests adding some lemon zest. The lemon zest and/or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice is a great idea–that bit of citrus is a great foil to the saltiness of the meat. Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus is not only a great appetizer…
…but it also makes a rockin’ side with eggs for breakfast!
I recommend serving these savory delectables straight from the oven, so that the asparagus ends and prosciutto will be crisp. Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus keeps fine as leftovers, but if you want it crispy the next day, then I suggest either placing it in a non-stick skillet or in the oven again, and reheating until it crisps up again. Here’s the printable recipe:
- Fresh asparagus spears (I used 24 spears
- Thinly sliced prosciutto (I used a package of at least 12 slices)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons good olive oil
- Optional: fresh lemon juice and/or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line baking sheet or pan with foil.
- Rinse, dry, and then trim off tough bottoms of asparagus spears.
- Slice or gently tear each sheet of prosciutto lengthwise.
- Wrap one of the halved prosciutto sheets around each spear of asparagus and place on the foil-lined pan.
- Drizzle the wrapped asparagus with the olive oil and toss.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Roast in oven for about 7minutes. If still not crispy, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes until browned, watching carefully so as not to burn the prosciutto.
- Serve warm.
- Options: After roasting and before serving, squeeze on some fresh lemon juice and/or sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.
*Please note that all opinions are mine alone, and that I received no samples, payments, or financial incentives from Del Duca products, its affiliates or any other person or entity for comments or links in this article.