This wonderful Orange Margarita came about because, well, I love margaritas, but also because my neighbors recently returned from Florida, and as thanks for picking up their mail, they gave me a ginormous bag of the juiciest oranges I’ve ever had. So I’ve been making lots of recipes using orange juice, including this gluten free orange tart, which I highly recommend, by the way.
Anyway, one of those gifted oranges provided the juice for this fabulous Orange Margarita. For this recipe, I decided to add and muddle some jalapeno slices to add a spicy kick, and I’m so glad that I did. In the alternative, you could also steep some jalapeno slices in the tequila for a few minutes.
Either way, your Orange Margarita will have an extra “oomph.” Don’t like spicy? Then just skip the peppers, and this Orange Margarita will still be a memorable drink. For a colorful garnish, I added some long strips of orange peel and a lime wedge to a cocktail skewer. An orange slice on the rim would also look festive.
I made sure to add my unique lime sugar salt mixture to the rim of the glass. I recently made a Chambord Margarita in which I used this same mixture. You’ll also find the recipe for the lime sugar salt mixture below.
I’m convinced that the key to this Orange Margarita being so tasty and distinctive is using freshly squeezed orange juice and lime juice. If you add the jalapeno, then that green spiciness comes through and really complements the citrus vibes of this drink.
This Orange Margarita cocktail practically begs to be enjoyed with Mexican food or spicy Italian food!
Here’s the recipe:
- 3 and ½ ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 and ½ ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 and ½ ounces tequila
- ½ ounce triple sec
- 2 thin slices of fresh jalapeno
- 1 and ½ ounces simple syrup, or to taste
- Ice for shaker
- Two ice cubes for serving glass
- Optional: lime sugar salt mixture (see recipe below) for rim of glass
- Optional: lime wedge, orange slice, or strips of orange peel on a skewer for garnish
- For the lime sugar salt mixture:
- Combine the zest, sugar and salt in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulverize until the zest if finely pulverized. Reserve any unused mixture in a covered jar for later use.
- To prepare the glass rim:
- To one small saucer, add some lime juice, orange juice, or water. To another small saucer, add some of the lemon sugar salt mixture. Dip the rim of serving glass in the first saucer of liquid, then in the second saucer of the lemon sugar salt mixture until the glass rim is well coated.
- For the drink:
- Add tequila and triple sec to empty cocktail shaker.
- Add jalapeno slices to shaker, and gently muddle with end of a long wooden spoon. Careful here...the longer and more you muddle, the spicier your cocktail will be.
- To shaker, add orange juice, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice for shaking.
- Cover and shake for 30 seconds
- Strain into prepared glass and add two ice cubes.
- Garnish as desired.
This recipe makes one big serving, but I’ve heard no complaints! I hope you’ll enjoy this big and rockin’ Orange Margarita!
This week I am linking up with Dream Create Inspire Link @Simple Nature Decor Thriving on Thursdays Linky Party @Domesblissity Linky Party Palooza @I Heart Nap Time DIY and Recipes Party @The 36th Avenue Clever Chicks Blog Hop @The Chicken Chick Worthwhile Wednesday @Crafty Allie Friday Favorites @ Life in Leggings What’s Cookin’ Wednesday @Buns in my Oven Tipsy Tuesday @Grey is the New Black MMM @Healthy Diva Life Totally Terrific Tuesday @ Live Randomly Simple The Wednesday Round Up @ Love, Pasta and a Toolbelt Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party @ Designs by Miss Mandee Fabulous Party @Lou Lou Girls Sunday Linky @The Lazy Gastronome Over the Moon Link Party @Marilyn’s Treats Foodie FriDIY@A Dish of Daily Life Funtastic Friday @Olives & Okra Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop @Katherines Corner Party Time! @ Live Laugh Rowe Mingle Monday Blog Link-Up @ Life of Meg