These mangoritas with chili powder rims were far from planned…I made them at the last minute and photographed them at the last minute.
As I’ve mentioned, my sweet sister is visiting from California, and it was not until after sundown that we decided that we “needed” a margarita. I found mango in my extra freezer, quickly threw together these awesome mango margaritas, and because they were so striking, decided to shoot them. Unlike most of my food and drink shots, I didn’t have the benefit of daylight, which I prefer to shoot in. Still, I think you’ll overlook any photographic shortcomings once you taste these awesome frozen mangoritas with chili powder rims.
Of course you can use fresh or jarred mangos, but I highly recommend the frozen mango chunks. By using the frozen variety, there’s no need to add ice, which can dilute the mango and other vivid flavors. This recipe was inspired by this one at Minimalist Baker. The chili powder adds a smoky, subtle heat that pairs so very nicely with the acidity and sweetness of this drink. This recipe makes two large servings or three smallish ones…considering how good these mangoritas with chili powder rims are, you’ll probably want to call it two servings…here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup frozen mango pieces
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 4 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces lime juice (juice of about two small limes)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- For dipping the glass rims into:
- Extra lime juice, about 1 Tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place two glasses in freezer
- Add mango, orange juice, tequila, lime juice, and sugar to blender and blend until smooth.
- Place extra lime juice in one small saucer, and place chili powder and salt in another small saucer. Pull glasses from freezer, dip each glass rim in lime juice, and then in chili powder-salt mixture.
- Pour blended drink into glasses and enjoy