This Honeydew Basil Frozen Margarita is perfect for summertime when the melons are growing like crazy and the basil plants are full and lush.
The spicy, minty pop of the basil pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the melon. Just add some tequila and lime juice, and we are definitely going places–great places!
I started with a golden honeydew, but any sweet honeydew will do (see what I did there?;) Cut the honeydew up into 1-inch pieces…
…and place the pieces on a plate or cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place the plate or cookie sheet with the honeydew pieces in the freezer for about an hour.
And then it’s time to rock and roll! Set aside a few honeydew pieces for garnish, and then in a blender combine the remaining honeydew pieces, the tequila, a few basil leaves, the freshly squeezed lime juice, and some agave (sugar or honey can be used instead). I love the pretty little bits of the dark green basil leaves that show after everything is all blended up.
I’ve shown two ways of presenting this Honeydew Basil Frozen Margarita. One way is with some frozen honeydew pieces and a few small basil leaves skewered on cocktail picks.
The frozen honeydew pieces work like flavored ice cubes to help keep your cocktail cold, plus the basil leaves on the skewer add more heavenly basil aroma. Want to fancy up the garnishing basil? See this post from Homemade Toast that shows how to make candied basil and this post from Sparkle Living Blog that adds sparkly edible glitter to the basil.
Another way to present these Honeydew Basil Frozen Margaritas is with decorative straws, cut off to be short enough for the serving glasses. Either way, be sure to salt the glass rims. I’ve always eaten my melon with salt, and so of course, I’m now drinking my melon margaritas with salt!
I tried making an unfrozen version of these Honeydew Basil Margaritas, using a tedious process of straining the honeydew pulp and dirtying lots of dishes, and yet somehow I still wasn’t pleased with the texture. For these melon margaritas, frozen is definitely the way to go…it’s much easier and faster, and the texture is perfect rather than so-so. The recipe below makes a single cocktail, but you can easily double or quadruple the ingredients to make these rockin’ Honeydew Basil Frozen Margaritas.
- 1 and ½ cups honeydew melon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 to 7 basil leaves
- 1 and ½ ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (juice from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1 and ½ ounces tequila
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons agave syrup, or to taste (can substitute with honey or white table sugar)
- Optional garnish: extra lime juice, kosher salt, extra pieces of honeydew, extra basil leaves)
- Place honeydew pieces on plate or cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in freezer for at least one hour.
- Place glass in freezer.
- After one hour, remove honeydew from freezer.
- Set aside some extra lime juice, a few frozen honeydew pieces, and a few small basil leaves for garnish, if desired.
- Combine frozen honeydew pieces, basil leaves, lime juice, tequila, and agave in blender and blend until smooth.
- If rimming glass with salt, then on small saucer, pour a small amount of lime juice, on another saucer pour some kosher salt. Retrieve glass from freezer, dip rim in lime juice, and then in salt.
- Pour Honeydew Basil Frozen Margarita into prepared glass.
- Garnish with extra honeydew pieces and basil leaves on a cocktail skewer if desired.
This week I am linking up with Dream Create Inspire Link @Simple Nature Decor Thriving on Thursdays Linky Party @Domesblissity Linky Party Palooza@I Heart Nap Time DIY and Recipes Party @The 36th Avenue Clever Chicks Blog Hop @The Chicken Chick Worthwhile Wednesday @Crafty Allie Friday Favorites @ Life in Leggings What’s Cookin’ Wednesday @Buns in my Oven Tipsy Tuesday @Grey is the New Black MMM @Healthy Diva Life Totally Terrific Tuesday @ Live Randomly Simple The Wednesday Round Up @ Love, Pasta and a Toolbelt Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party @ Designs by Miss Mandee Fabulous Party @Lou Lou Girls Sunday Linky @The Lazy Gastronome Over the Moon Link Party @Marilyn’s Treats Foodie FriDIY@A Dish of Daily Life Funtastic Friday @Olives & Okra Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop @Katherines Corner Party Time! @ Live Laugh Rowe Mingle Monday Blog Link-Up @ Life of Meg