While at the local Walmart recently, I came across an item I had not seen before: Heartland’s gluten free no boil lasagna noodles.
I’ve had great luck with regular gluten no boil lasagna noodles, so I decided to give this gluten free version a try. My teenaged vegetarian nieces are visiting right now from California, and stepped up to be the taste testers for this gluten free no boil lasagna recipe.
This turned out to be a real winner all around…both of my nieces gave thumbs up while asking for second servings. I was impressed by not only how quickly this dish came together, but by how delicious it was.
I added spinach to the cheese mixture, but you could easily leave out the spinach and use browned ground beef mixed into the red sauce. Sauteed mushrooms also would be a wonderful addition.
These are no boil noodles, so they absorb quite a bit of moisture, which is actually fine by me–I don’t like my lasagna to be soggy or falling apart because of too much moisture. This recipe works, I promise…the cooked noodles are al dente, and there’s enough moisture but not too much. I can’t wait to make this again, and serve it to my mom who can only eat gluten free. Here’s my gluten free no boil lasagna recipe:
- 1 box Heartland gluten free no boil lasagna noodles
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 and ½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 and ¼ cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 24 ounce jar of red marinara sauce, your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 package (9 or 10 ounce) of chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain thawed spinach well and tightly squeeze moisture out of spinach with lint free kitchen towel or paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, add prepared spinach, the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, ½ cup of the parmesan cheese, the red pepper flakes, and the egg, and mix thoroughly.
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer 1 cup marinara sauce, 1 layer of lasagna noodles (four noodles fit perfectly), then another cup of the marinara sauce, then half of the cheese and spinach mixture. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of the parmesan. Add another layer of noodles, another cup of the marinara sauce, the remaining cheese and spinach mixture, and another ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of parmesan. Add last layer of noodles, the remaining marinara sauce, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Add extra mozzarella cheese if desired.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer, until cheese on top is nicely browned and bubbly.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.