Got Butternut Coconut Curried Soup? I do! This recipe was made only because I now know how quick and easy it is to cook a whole butternut squash in the microwave and then cut through the cooked peel and flesh like butter.You can see my instructions for microwave cooking a whole butternut squash here.
Besides the microwave, the other appliance that will simplify making this soup and minimize cleanup is an immersion blender. Immersion blenders are inexpensive and they help you avoid having to transfer hot soups like this to a food processor or regular blender. You certainly can use your food processor, but if you like to make creamy and smooth soups often, then I highly recommend an immersion blender!
And yes, this Butternut Coconut Curried Soup is creamy smooth and so full of flavor. I used no-sodium chicken broth and added no salt, and I still found it to be super flavorful. Want it vegetarian? Just use vegetable broth instead. Either way, this soup is gluten free. I used a can of lite coconut milk, like this, and this soup turned out plenty rich and creamy.
How does it taste? Well, this soup is Thai inspired, so there are the distinctive creamy coconut and curry flavors. There’s also a fall-like sweetness and spiciness, which comes from the golden butternut squash, a splash of maple syrup, and just a hint of ginger.
I like adding some garnish, to please both the palate and the eyes. Here, I topped the bowl of soup with some slivered almonds, torn-up cilantro leaves. and Greek yogurt. You could also use some full fat coconut milk or sour cream instead of the yogurt.
You could simply place a little dollop of yogurt on top, or do what I did and place some thick Greek yogurt in a little sandwich baggie, clip off the corner of the baggie, and squeeze some lines of the yogurt back and forth over the top of your Butternut Coconut Curried Soup. Garnishes are optional though–this soup can be served unadorned and it’s still superb.
This recipe can be made in about thirty minutes. Again, it’s even faster and easier if you’ll use your microwave and an immersion blender. Assuming you do, then you’ll use just two larger dishes–one to cook the butternut squash in the microwave, and one to mix and warm up your soup on the stovetop. That means less time for cooking and cleanup, and more time to savor this Butternut Coconut Curried Soup! Here’s the recipe:
- One whole medium to large butternut squash
- One 14 ounce can of lite coconut milk
- One cup of no-sodium or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- Optional: an additional ⅛ teaspoon hot madras curry power if you want it spicier.
- Wash whole butternut squash and carefully cut about 15 slits into squash, pushing the knife deep enough to reach the inner seed cavity of the squash.
- Place butternut squash on microwave safe dish and cook uncovered on medium high for 20 to 25 minutes until squash skin is blistered and cracked and entire squash is super soft.
- Remove cooked butternut squash from microwave and cool slightly.
- Cut butternut squash (it should cut easily with a butter knife), remove seeds from cavity, and remove peel.
- Place cooked butternut squash in medium saucepan and smash up most of the lumps with a potato smasher or the back of a spoon.
- Place pan with smashed squash on medium heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine, bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Use an immersion blender in same saucepan to blend the soup until smooth. (So as to avoid a huge mess, be careful NOT to lift the immersion blender above the surface while it is on!) If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer the soup to either a blender or a food processor and blend in batches just until smooth and then return to the saucepan.
- Serve this soup warm with optional garnishes of chopped cilantro, slivered almonds, and yogurt, sour cream or coconut milk.
This week I am linking up with Link Love @Running with Spoons Weekend Potlucks @The Country Cook Friday Favorites @ Life in Leggings What’s Cookin’ Wednesday @Buns in my Oven Tipsy Tuesday @Grey is the New Black MMM @Healthy Diva Life Totally Terrific Tuesday @ Live Randomly Simple The Wednesday Round Up @ Love, Pasta and a Toolbelt Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party @ Designs by Miss Mandee Treasure Box Tuesday @ Memories by the Mile Fabulous Party @Lou Lou Girls Sunday Linky @The Lazy Gastronome Over the Moon Link Party @Marilyn’s Treats Foodie FriDIY @A Dish of Daily Life Funtastic Friday @Olives & Okra Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop @Katherines Corner Party Time! @ Live Laugh Rowe Mingle Monday Blog Link-Up @ Life of Meg